Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Thoughts For A Wednesday - Motown Edition

 Well, we are 3 games into the best of 5 series in the National League and the wildcard round winners are up 2-1, looking to clinch on their home field tomorrow night.

The Guardians are playing in Motown on Wednesday, trying to be the first team this season to go up 2-1 with a chance to clinch on the road.  The Tigers have to feel pretty good as they only have to win one of two in Detroit to go back to Cleveland.  If that happens they will likely go to Tarik Skubal, the likely AL Cy Young Award winner who has been lights out in the playoffs this year.

Fans were bemoaning Monday's loss but this was just a great game that hinged on 3 bad batters for Clase, one of which was a 3-run homer.  Had Clase been perfect we might have had a redo of the 2022 game #2 in the wildcard round that went to 15 innings before Sponge Bob won it with his dramatic HR off Corey Kluber for a 1-0 win.  One run in 15 innings!  Sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't.  

So, while some look with trepidation at the thought of going down 2-1, I look at it as an opportunity to go up 2-1.  While some fans think we have to win 2 in Detroit to avoid Skubal in game 5, I look at it like we just have to win 1 to take it back to Cleveland with the chance to produce another instant classic.  

Look, it is not for us, as fans, to decide whether the Guardians win or lose.  We are just there to root.  It is also not for us to decide if Stephen Vogt is pushing all the right buttons because I think the presumptive AL Manager of the Year has earned our trust.

Will it break Cleveland's way and will they go on to the ALCS this year?  I don't know.  But my guess is that the thrill of the ride will be good enough for me, just like it was in 2016.

My wife said I was surprisingly in good spirits after the loss on Monday.  I told her it was because I just watched a great playoff game that created plenty of memories for me with Boyd's start, Noel's hustle and great throw and Kwan's great catch.  Highlights in my memory hopefully not to be soon forgotten.  So, there is only one thing left to say about today's game 3.

Go Guardians!

And please pray for the people in Florida that they can withstand hurricane Milton with no loss of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment