Monday, May 8, 2023

Questions for Tito

 I have listened to a lot of Francona's postgame 'press conferences', whether they are actual or just writers asking him questions in his office.  I have been struck by how the writers seem to be walking on eggshells when they ask these questions, or at least that is my impression.

If I had been there asking questions after tonight's game I would have asked:

1. Why didn't you pinch hit Freeman for Zunino in the 9th today?

2. David Fry's last AB before tonight was 10 days ago in Columbus.  How do you plan to get him some more ABs?

3. Arias has struck out in almost half his ABs this year, including 8 of his last 14.  What are thy working on with him to get him to make more quality contact?

The problem with what I see going on here is that they say Arias is a big part of their future.  I know he is young but how have they made this determination?  Arias does not have much speed, he doesn't make a lot of contact, he doesn't have a great walk rate.  The only two things he has shown is a great arm at SS and some penchant for power.  A good fielding SS with power who can carry a .250 average is worth a lot, especially when is young and cheap.   But how can you look at his performance and say he is a big part of your future when he has to pretty much play great defense and hit like he did in 2021 in Columbus.  The last two years he has not been that player.  I just don't get it.

Could it be that they sent Gonzalez down because he reminded them too much of Bobby Bradley and Franmil Reyes?  That is, he might have been a flash in the pan and is done?  

I get that. But what is the infatuation with Arias.   If he is the heir apparent to Rosario at SS I get it.  But trade Rosario and let's get this transition going.  Playing a guy in RF that has NONE of the offensive attributes you want in a right fielder and ZERO experience playing there is a bad idea.  It makes no sense when you can get him ABs by just trading Rosario.

Antonnetti today said that transactions aren't happening.  I don't doubt him but, really?  Teams that need a SS aren't willing to trade for one right now and, instead, are going to wait another 50 games before getting one who solves their SS problems?  I think there are good trades out there, but that is just my opinion.

Finally, I am glad David Fry got into a game today but expecting ANYTHING out of the guy when you have frozen him out for 10 days without an at bat creates a self-fulfilling prophecy if your opinion is that he isn't a quality ML player.  In my opinion, as the 26th guy on your team he is one of the most valuable role players in the majors.  How many guys can give you professional defense at 3 positions and provide some offense?  Hey, he may just be a 25th or 26th player but, in my opinion, he will be an important part of this team if given a chance.  But if you DON'T give him a decent chance you have just created a self-fulfilling prophecy when he doesn't perform. 

No comments:

Post a Comment