Monday, June 12, 2023

Headed To The Left Coast - Thoughts for A Monday Morning

 The Guardians open a 3-game series against San Diego tomorrow.

  •  I hate to say it but the percentages favor Zunno staying on this team as the backup catcher and us bringing up Naylor and DFAing Gallagher.  Looking at Gallagher's overall value I just don't see us keeping him, nor should be we be that upset if we lose him. 
  • We won't likely see it anytime soon but Rocchio up and Rosario out the door is the next play for this team.  
  • I still say that I see a path where we trade Beiber and Rosario and still win this division this year.
  • I don't see us trading Straw as my experience tells me that you aren't going to get enough for a Gold Glove, wet noodle bat CFer no matter when you try to trade him.  I see teams wanting to upgrade in CF, I just don't see anyone willing to pay that much for that kind of upgrade.
  • When Quantrill comes back I would like to see him in the bullpen with Gavin Willaims called up to take some of the innings off of Bibee and LT Allen. I think we will find that Allen needs more seasoning as his HR allowed and H/IP scream that he might need more seasoning.   I know Francona is probably thinking of starting Quantrill to eat those innings but I just don't see that as the best course.
  • This road trip should be a good test.  San Diego is struggline and is very motivated to get wins now before they drop out of the race.  Arizona is really hot and will be a good test.  Look forward to it with the way we are hitting but, of course, you are never as good as when you are hot and never as bad as when you are cold.  We are hot right now.  Here's hoping we keep building momentum on that.
  • Minor leaguers of interest this coming week include:
    • Will Dion - watch to see if he can get through an order more than one time at AA.  It is possible his stuff could play more as a multi-inning reliever where his lack of velo doesn't hurt that much
    • Doug Nikhazy - Is he getting it?  Is he not getting it?  Is he Joey Cantillo, part deux and, if so, is that a good thing?  Prospects like Cantillo and Nikhazy are the most frustrating to me (along with Bobby Bradley, Franmil Reyes and Juan Gonzalez, of course).  You can see the potential but you just can't pull it out of the guy.   Sam Hentges is the perfect example.  I thought he was an overdraft when he was drafted and would crash and burn like Cody Bunkelman.  But he didn't.  The Guardians pulled out of him the command and control to go with the big fastball he had when he came out of HS in Minnesota.  
    • Joe Lampe - Is this it?  He has been in about a month long slump.  For a lower round pick I would call it as a bust.  But Lampe showed something at the beginning of this season.  Still, I think it was a bad draft pick as I don't think he is a good defender, I question his power, and my gut tells me he has an attitude problem.  Maybe he just 'knows' he should be in AA and would perform better with an, at this point, undeserved promotion. 
    • Lynchburg international free agent hitters - Interestingly these guys are hitting really well.  Are they about to explode into real top 30 prospects?  I hope so.
    • Chase DeLauter, Steve Haffer, Ross Carver - Rehabbing guys who are not exactly dominating their competition right now.  It is important that each of them, when they are placed on their full-season teams, hit the ground running to show that their rehab play was not who they are but, rather, them just going through the process of getting ready for a full-season assignment. 
    • Juan Brito looks confident at the plate right now.  Let's hope this is him all the time now and he can start, gradually, bringing in some power to his offensive game.  He is primed to do that and if he does he instantly becomes a top 10 prospect for us, even with his shaky defense and average speed.
    • Finally, the Daniel Schneeman and Korey Holland watches are still on.  Are they real or are they Memorex?

No comments:

Post a Comment