Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Today is Owen Miller PTBNL Day and Other Tidbits

  •  According to Baseball Reference.com the Guardians traded Owen Miller to Milwaukee on December 14, 2022, which would make today the last day to complete this trade by the Guardians and Milwaukkee agreeing on the PTBNL(s) or agreeing on alternate forms of compensation (comptetive balance draft pick, international bonus money, straight cash deal).
  • Luis Lara, my goal player to be the PTBNL, hasn't played in a week.  Can't find if it is due to injury but that is my guess so maybe that makes him more obtainable or puts a question mark on whether he should be the player we are targeting.  I am going with it makes him more attainable as his hit/OB tools make him intriguing for me, especially with his aggressive assignment to low A this year, completely passing complex ball.   Think Petey Halpin...at least IMO.
  • Richie Palacios was DFA'd on June 11th meaning the deadline for that process would be on Father's Day, this Sunday. 
  • Zach Plesac was placed on the inactive list for Columbus.  I don't want to read too much into that but given Plesac's issues in the past it is concerning that immediately after finding out that no one else in baseball wanted him on even their 40-man roster (he has minor league options left) he is placed on a list that has, in the past, had guys on it who were upset about being sent down to the minors or had some disciplinary issues.  
At this point I might consider packaging Plesac and Palacios with the compensation for Miller to get a higher ranked prospect from Milwaukee.

  • Chase DeLauter did not play in Arizona yesterday and George Valera did, but only DH'd.  Both these things concern me.
  • Will Dion pitched much better at AA in his second start.  In fact, if you take away the 4th inning in his first start he has given up ) ER in 8 innings at AA.  Still don't think his stuff will ever play in a ML rotation but he clearly has a chance to play in the majors if he keeps this up.
  • Joey Cantillo with a much better start yesterday at AAA.  Although we have a lot of young starting pitching, he is one of the key guys for me who has to hit it big to keep our farm system on the upswing.  We have had so many injuries and epically bad performances by our top prospects this year that we need guys like Cantillo to give us high end prospects who are ML ready for later this year but, more likely, next year.
  • Really like what I am hearing and seeing with Welbyn Francisca.   I would like to see us continue to stockpile young, top end, international signees in trades from other teams.  The Dodgers have two guys who I have mentioned before that I would as for in trades with them.
  • As far as yesterday's minor league games, the epic collapses of Lampe and Boyd is especially troubling to me.  
  • Remind me, why isn't Bo Naylor on the Guardians' 26 man roster?
  • I laughed when I saw David Fry get a hit against Jose Hader yesterday.  I will tell you he was dealing and for him to the only player who didn't K against Hader yesterday brought a smile to my face, both for Fry and to spite Francona who seems bent on making it look like Fry doesn't deserve to be in the majors.
  • Again, Daniel Schneeman...is it even possible he could be a ML player?  Amazing season so far.  Keep it up!
  • Today has the makings of a great day to look at our minor league pitching prospects with Williams, Mace, Messick and Humphries going.  Still hoping against hope that Davenport turns his season around as I think they put in extra work with him thinking he could be an important prospect going forward.
  • As much as I applaud Bubba Filia for his two HRs yesterday, it shows how bad our farm system is as far as catching prospects goes when we have two veteran college catchers catching our low A pitchers and guys like Mike Amditis catching at AA.  We need an influx of catching prospects at high A.  Dalton Rushing or Matt Wood, anyone?
As far as the Guardians' game:
  • Even in a loss, I see a spark in this team.  I love the young players.  
  • Anyone who thinks that our young starting pitching will have great outings all the time is dreaming.
  • Walking around  Petco Park yesterday it amezed me, as it did last year, how many Guardians fans were in attendance at the game.  There was a noticeable roar from the crowd when Bell hit his HR.   One thing I did notice, however, was that in talking to the fans I heard some frustration in their voices about how the team was playing this year.  I guess that is what years of above .500 records and our playoff success will do to your expectations.  Hope for a better result tonight as some of those fans traveled from Cleveland for this series.
  • One final thing: to the guys sitting behind me last night, you can tell you are being too loud when the Padres fans around you are rolling their eyes at you.   However, what I heard in your voices was frustration over how badly a team with a $255 million payroll is playing and trying to will tat team into performing anywhere near the expectations that a team salary like that should bring.  I get it. No, I don't and I never will as Cleveland will never, and shouldn't, have that type of salary.

No comments:

Post a Comment