Thursday, July 18, 2024

2024 Draft - Part 34 - The Annual Fruitless Exercise Of Making A Mock Draft To Compare To The Guardians Draft

 OK, time to put this down on 'paper' and put it in the electronic time capsule that is the internet to be opened in 5 years and, likely, laughed at.  Historically, I am really bad at this although, this year, I think I might have FINALLY got it right...until I look 5 years from now, LOL.

Let's hope that people are laughing at me and not the Guardians 5 years from now.

Since I did my mock differently this year, putting in some placeholders instead of player's names, if my mock is consistent with the Guardians then I use their player.  If my mock identifies a player type and the Guardians didn't select a player at that type at that point in the draft, I tried to pick that type of player who was actually picked later in the draft.  For context, if a player was actually selected in the draft later than my mock, I include, in parentheses, the slot that player was actually taken.  The only time I will not use my mock is if my pick in a round has already been picked or, in some cases later in the draft, if my pick was never drafted and then I will try to pick who the Guardians picked.  When possible and I have just identified a TYPE of player, I always try to stay true to that type (like draft eligible soph in the same round or close to it.  Like in round 20 where I picked a D&F guy that was picked right after Cleveland's 20th round slot.

OK, so here goes.

Pick    CLE Pick (rank)        My Mock (pick where the player was actually selected) (Ranking)

1-1        Bazzana (1)                 Bazzana(1) (1)

36        Doughty  (36)               Luke Holman (77) (45)

48        Cozart (42)                  Bryce Cunningham (53) (63)

84        Oakie (46)                  Oakie (84) (46)

113      Schlesinger (147)      Dakota Jordan (116) (34)

146       Major (245)              Matt Ager (174) (135)

175        Favors                      Bridger Holmes (192)

205      Sullivan (118)            Sullivan (205) (118)

235       Szak  (NR)                Sam Garcia (college senior) (245) (NR)

265        Matson (NR)           Micah McDowell (college senior) (514) (NR)

295        Mobley (80)            Kyle Robertson (316) (182)

325        Howe  (NR)            Howe (325) (NR)

355        Heppner  (NR)       Heppner (355) (NR)

385        Thompson (NR)     Yoel Tejeda Jr. (413) (NR)

415        Cessarini  (NR)       Cessarini (415) (NR)

445        Whittaker (NR)       Whittaker (445) (NR)

475        Remily  (NR)          Remily (475) (NR)

505        McGuire (NR)         McGuire (NR)

535        Martinez (NR)        Owen Boeresma (ND) (NR)

565        Schuelke (NR)        Schuelke (565) (NR)

595        Waily  (NR)            Dawson Price (JUCO D&F, 596) (NR)

In summary, the Guardians drafted 8 guys who were ranked in the MLB Pipeline top 250, 4 were ranked better when they were drafted (underdrafts), 2 were ranked identical to where they were drafted and 2 were ranked lower than where they were drafted (overdrafts).  In my mock draft 9 drafted players were ranked, 5 were underdrafts, 3 were overdrafts and 1 (Bazzana) was identical. 

The real difference between my draft and the Guardians was that I focused more on known college junior pitchers & took two less HS pitchers (didn't take Doughty or Mobley) knowing that I had to sign Dakota Jordan to an overslot bonus.  I did take a draft eligible soph pitcher (Tejeda) later in the draft and the 20th round D&F that I said I wanted to take.  And, of course, in my draft I took ZERO college catchers as all the good ones who could hit (except Ryan Campos) went early in the draft.  The Guardians took 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment