Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Let's talk the football draft for a second

 OK, this is a baseball blog.   I get it.   There are a whole bunch of bloggers smarter about the Cleveland Browns' draft then I am.   So to all of you, forgive me for stepping in to your lane. That being said, here we go.

Using Andrew Berry's premise, you draft NOT for right now need but for eventual need.   Basically, you have the luxury, when you are the Browns of 2021, of drafting the best player on the board, right?

Or....you could go a totally different direction.   I am on the bandwagon that the Browns have too many draft picks for the slots on their 2021 roster.  So what do we do?

In a nutshell here is what I would do, if it is doable:

Scenario 1: If Zaven Collins is already off the board:

1. Trade the #26 pick and our second 4th round pick (#132) to the Miami Dolphins for their picks (#36 and #50) - It gives the Dolphins 3 first round picks, all of which are eligible for the 5th year option and gets us two picks in the second round.   This, to me, gives us more in the way of long-term assets that Berry was talking about.

At this point the Browns would own picks #36, 50, 59, 89, 91, 110,  This is where I would end the Browns draft.

2. Trade our remaining draft picks we have (169, 211, 257) for fill-in veterans.   After the regular 4th round the draft gets very messy with all the compensatory picks. Plus, although I am no cap expert, it looks like doing this will also shrink our draft cap hit.   I don't know by how much but maybe it will help.   Again, I am not an NFL expert but I have to imagine that we could take on a salary or two and still be under our cap.

3. Trade Odell Beckham Jr. for whatever useful veterans you can get and then sign Nick Chubb to an extension using that money.

Scenario 2: Draft Zaven Collins at #26

1. Trade #132, 169, 211 and 257,  to the Eagles for their #84 pick, leaving us with 6 draft picks (Collins, #59, 84, 89, 91, 110).   

2. Trade Odell Beckham Jr. for whatever useful veterans you can get and then sign Nick Chubb to an extension

In both scenario #1 and #2 I try to re-sign Sheldon Richardson if I have cap space left.  In scenario #1 if I have the cap space Stephen Gilmore is one of the guys I target for those picks I want to trade.

OK, how about that for an uneducated foray into the Browns NFL draft.  No knowledge and some research but, essentially, throwing stuff against the wall and seeing if it will stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment