Thursday, September 30, 2021

HERE ARE MY PROPOSALS FOR THINGS TO BE IN THE NEW COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT

Obviously there are going to be lots of issues addressed in the upcoming CBA negotiations.   Here are some proposals I have along with the reasons I think they make sense.

1, Eliminate the Rule 5 draft - There is enough evidence that this draft actually does very little for the development of the players drafted.   Teams play all kinds of games during the season to hold onto players.  Guys sit on the bench for most of the season when they could be playing in the minors.  I see the theoretical need for it  but, in practice, I perceive that it does more harm than good to the development of these players.  There are probably substantive stats to back up what I am saying but I am too lazy to do the quantitative work.  Instead of the Rule 5 lets do the following:

2. Change minor league free agency as follows:

a. If you are signed BEFORE you turn 19 you are not eligible for minor league free agency until, the first December 1st that you are 24 years old.  If you are rostered, obviously they can't become minor league free agents unless they are released.

b. If you sign AFTER you turn 19 you are not eligible for minor league free agency until the first December 1st after you turn 25.

c. No team is allowed to have more than 3 options on any player once he is added to the 40 man roster.

A couple of thoughts about why this is better:

a. This gives HS kids essentially the same amount of time they had in the current CBA before they become minor league free agents as they had before.
b. Latin signees now have more years for their development than before.  Many Latin players would only be 20 or 21 before they were rostered.  I think that is too young.  
c. 4-year college players have less time for their development, but, as they are pretty highly trained when they are drafted, they shouldn't need as much time before they have to be put on the 40 man roster.
d. JUCO kids have the same time as before until they can become a minor league free agent.

I think these changes will allow teams to develop players and eliminate a lot of bad things about the current Rule 5 and minor league free agency rules.  

A couple of other thoughts on rules:
  • I am a big proponent of the 7 inning games on days when there are doubleheaders.  I have seen this year that teams can get through a doubleheader without decimating their bullpen.  
  • I am also a big proponent of the pitch clock
  • I like the 26 man roster and the extra man for doubleheader days
  • I like the 28 man roster limit after September 1st.  
  • I like the idea that the bases are bigger to help increase the value of speed in the game.
  • I like limiting shifting and player positioning as described in the minor league experiments. 
  • I don't want to make the mounds higher, or deaden the ball or the bats. 
Just some thoughts.  Hopefully someone will work to solve the Rule 5 fiaxco.  I think my suggestions above have merit.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment