Monday, September 26, 2022

Roster moves going forward: how do we set up the post=season roster

 OK, semi-legal disclaimers: This post is my opinion and is subject to change based on events that may happen between now and the post-season AND which team is our first round matchup.

So, with that out of the way, here goes:.  Hide the young ones, this could be painful

Catchers (2) - Hedges and Maile - NOTE: Barring an injury which could allow us to bring up Naylor, this is it for the post-season, no matter how long it goes. I see the two of these guys being used EXACTLY as they were during the regular season.  That is, the duties being split between them.)

Infielders (7): Ramrez, Rosario, Gimenez and Naylor as the starters.  Freeman, Arias and Miller as the reserves. (NOTE: I would rather not see Miller but aside from Arias showing us in the last 9 games that he can play 1B, I don't know what else to do.).

Outfielders (5): Kwan, Straw and Gonzalez as the starters.  Brennan and Palacios as the reserves. (NOTE: I think Palacios benefits here by being an extra bat which is needed more than an extra bullpen arm in a short (3 game) series)

Starters (4): Beiber, McKenzie, Quantrill and Civale (NOTE: In a best of 3 or best of 5 you don't really need 5 starters.)

Bullpen (8): Clase, Stephan, Karinchak, Hentges, De Los Santos, Plesac, Sandlin, Morris, (NOTE: In a 3 game series I think you can use a short bullpen.  You will likely need, at most, one long man and I think I put Plesac on the roster in that role and leave off Morgan and McCarty.  In a longer series I think you go with 13 pitchers and only 13 positions players.so we can add McCarty back in.  I think Morgan is the odd man out either in a short or long series. Note that both of these scenarios leave out Shaw.  If you REALLY want Shaw you have to leave off Sandlin and Sandlin has been more effective.  This is the most painful call for the Guardians but gives them the best chance of winning, in my opinion.)

So there you have it.  Shaw and Morgan get left off and we go with 12 pitchers in the 3 game series and then debate whether we go with 12 or 13 pitchers if we make it to a 5 game series.  If we add a 13th pitcher it is McCarty with Palacios getting left off.

Again, just my thoughts which are deopendent on factors (health, opponent) that are not clear yet.  I wish we had a secret weapon to put on the roster in that last roster spot (Jones, Valera, Naylor, Rocchio) but I just don't see that happening for a variety of reasons, the biggest of which is that these guys either aren't on the 40-man right now or aren't performing well enough at AAA to justify being brought up.

No comments:

Post a Comment