Thursday, June 14, 2018

Interesting draft developments

Here are some things I didn't expect:

1. How much they went over slot for Delgado. You have to ask yourself is this guy, who lasted until the 6th round, really worth that much money.  His BA talent slot of 84 says that he was, as he got about slot 70 money.  But still, that much over budget?

2. That they gave Jenkins and Lavastida over slot bonuses.  While it looks like chump change ($75,000 total over budget) given the Delgado thing, every penny counts.

3. Broom got slot money in the 10th round

Here is what I did expect:

1. That they gave Adam Scott $50,000


So, where do we stand?  Right now we are $383,100 over budget.   Even considering the 5% overage from our budget before we lose our first round pick next year, we can only go over budget $74,160 TOTAL with our remaining picks.  

Let's hope our new draft guru knows what he is doing.   His predecessors certainly did, at least in the last 3 years.   All  we need to do is sign all these  guys and we have a fighting chance of having a good draft.   However, if we don't sign all of our first 10 round picks, especially if we fail to sign any of our top 3 picks, this draft is looking a little weak to me, given how low in each round we selected.

So far, to me, his draft strategy is looking really shaky.  I think we need to save $600,000 more in the first 10 rounds to sign Hankins and I don't him being able to save any more than $400,000 total on his remaining picks not counting Hankins, who I don't think will want to sign for anywhere near slot.  I hope I am wrong.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment