Monday, September 17, 2018

Review of minor league predictions

Projection - Columbus 62-82 
Actual - 73-67, 0.5 games out of the playoffs
Comments - Well, the power of the minor league veteran, a good manager and a good organizational attitude actually paid dividends.   I have to admit I just don't get it.  I have seen AAA teams with many more veteran minor leaguers who would have really bad records.  I really expected this team to tank as we tended to bottom feed with the minor league veterans we had and the actual prospects at AAA were not good.   Congrats to the Clippers for the success they had.  
Projection -  Akron 86-58
Actual - 78-62
Comments - Well, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.   Even though not all of the prospects did as well as I anticipated, the team still had a good record and made it to the league finals.   
Prediction - Lynchburg - 76-68 - 
Actual -  71-66
Comments - Blind squirrel part deux.   This team, devoid of any real star prospects except for the late season promotion of Jones, still did well.
Prediction - Lake Count - 72-72
Actual - 60-79
Comments - I overshot the mark here significantly.   I think it was the combination of lack of veteran leadership and maybe not the best field staff for this group of guys.  I think they were never going to the playoffs with this team but I don't see how they finished this bad.

Prediction - Mahoning Valley 42-34
Actual - 42-33
Comment - The personnel matched the predictions but the influx of the college guys from last year's draft who only pushed up one level from last year was the backbone of the team, especially the pitching staff.   The 2018 draft, as it usually does, produced pitchers and enough solid position players that the record was great.   I don't see a lot of guys being impact players in the majors from this team but there will be some major leaguers from the 2018 Captains.

Prediction - AZL Indians 1 - 32-24 AZL Indians 2 - 20-36
Actual -  AZL Indians 1 - 36-18, AZL Indians 2 - 32-24
Comments - Wow, this really surprised me.   I didn't think there would nearly be enough talent to fill two teams but I was wrong.   The combination of some older prospects, including some older Latin guys and 2018 draftees who performed well really did the trick.   As I said previously, this was not done with ML rehab guys, it was mostly done with young, real prospects.   I could see a much larger than average number of guys from these teams eventually playing in the majors.

So, there you have it.  Great season in the player development system.  Everyone should be proud.   Now to continue the development and let's fix Will Benson and Quentin Holmes and we will all need sunglasses to view the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment