Saturday, July 9, 2022

Mock Draft 2.0

 Here is my Guardians mock draft 2.0.   Obviously, without the big picture of what every other team is looking for, this is just my view based on other mock drafts and rankings.   

Here goes!

Round 1 (16 overall) - Zach Neto - infield - college - There are rumblings that the Indians will go for a college bat and Neto is certainly the most versatile college player available here.  He has a great hit tool and great arm and so could transition to the outfield, if necessary, or be a super-sub.  I like Chase DeLauter as an outfielder but with the mixture of minor league infielders and outfielders we currently have, I think they would like someone with more versatility.  Now Neto could remind some of Owen Miller, not a good comparison to be having right now, but I think he is more than that.

Round 1S (37 overall) - Gabriel Hughes, RHP - college - Hughes was my first round pick in my first mock draft but it looks like his stock is slipping not so much because of him but because other guys are rising.   He would be a good value at this point in the draft. Cooper Hjerpe (LHP, college) and Justin Campbell (RHP, college) would be solid selections here.  I don't really like the position players who will be available at this point as, for example, Jacob Melton hits left handed and we have plenty of LH outfielders really close to or in the majors already.

Round 2 (54 overall) - Jud Fabian - OF - college - Again, the draft would have to fall just right but if Fabian is available here (currently rated 52 by MLB) he has the righthanded stroke and power to be a perfect fit in our farm system.

Round 3 (92 overall) - Luke Gold - infielder, college - I like his hit tool and I think we need more college hitters.

Round 4 (122 overall) - Xavier Isaac - 1B HS - I like his bat and we need some long-term power hitting prospects coming out of this draft.

Round 5 (152 overall) - Jayson Jones - 3B, HS

Round 6 (182 overall) - Chris Villamin LHP, college

Round 7 (212 overall) - Jorel Ortega 2B, college

Round 8 (242 overall) - Nate Baez - C college

Round 9 (272 overall) - Riley Cornelio - RHP College

Round 10 (302 overall) - Tyler Schweitzer, LHP college

Rounds 11-20 - As we don't have to populate a short-season rookie league team any longer, I don't see the Guardians drafting a lot of position players, except for a catcher or two.   I see these 10 rounds going much like last year with mostly college pitchers and a sprinkling of HS pitchers and hitters who are signable thrown in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment