Monday, February 27, 2023

I am no longer sure that I want my M(LB) TV any more!

 OK, just got off the phone with the people at MLB Network.

My 2022 subscription ends, according to MLB Network's website, on February 28th, which is tomorrow.

However, I tried to watch games today on both my laptop and my TV and it said that I didn't have access to the game.

In calling MLB Network they told me that as far as they could see I was not able to watch games today and tomorrow because the auto-renewal had already cancelled my subscription for 2022 because I had not auto-renewed for 2023.

I was on the phone for almost an hour with these people and the best I could get out of them was that I could escalate the problem but since that escalation process takes 48 to 72 hours,  my 2022 subscription would be over before it was resolved.

For those of you who read my previous blog on this subject, I am not willing to auto-renew and give MLB my money until I see what happens with DSG.  All Rob Manfred has told us so far is that he is confident that MLB will be able to bring me the games of my home team.  He DIDN'T guarantee the following:

1. I would be able to watch games with the Guardians announcers

2. I would be able to watch all 162 games with subscriptions to other streaming services.

    a. Last year I couldn't watch games live that were broadcast on ESPN
    b. I wasn't able to watch games live that required me to have an Apple TV
    c. Many times I was not able to watch games 90 minutes after the game ended as the subscription promised me I would.  It was more like 3 hours.  Basically, that meant I couldn't watch them until the next day!

3. I could watch games without having to watch them with other teams' announcers doing the broadcasting.

We have already heard that MLB may sell the rights to broadcast some of the MLB games to other streaming services like FUBO.   I am not getting subscriptions to other streaming services just so I watch what I am paying MLB Network for.

So, because of this, I have not renewed my MLB Network subscription yet. But we are NOT talking about my MLB Network 2023 subscription.  According to the MLB Network on their website today, something that I remember from last year, my 2022 subscription does not end until tomorrow, February 28th.  

During our conversation the guy at MLB Network tried to tell me that my subscription ends on Feb 27th.   He also, repeatedly, tried to sell me on the advantages of renewing my subscription right now because I could then have access to my teams' games without interruption.  

It seems like there is no way I am going to be able to watch games today or tomorrow.  I am not going to watch other spring training games because I am not going to renew until I know what is going on.  That is disappointing because, to me, it appears that MLB Network has broken their 2022 contract with me.  It also appears that there is mounting evidence that even if we get to watch the Guardians in 2023 we will pay the same price as viewers of other teams but likely will not be guaranteed to be able to have our home announcers or watch those games without paying additional money to subscribe to other streaming services, making even fewer games available to the MLB Network subscriber.

At this point I am extremely disappointed.   MLB Network has not, in their interactions with me, shown that they want anything more than to get my money without any guarantee of honoring their contract with me.  

Now I am not sure, going forward, that I even want my M(LB) TV.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment