Sunday, May 26, 2019

Bringing up Zach Plesac scares me

Wow, as a prospect-first guy I ought to be ecstatic over Plesac making his major league debut.

But I am not.

First, he is too green to be placed in this spot.

Second, yeah Plutko is up and down but logic would say you go with the more veteran guy

So, why are they bringing up a guy to make a start like this?

They have to know that another starting pitcher is not going to fix this team's problems.

I think they are bringing up to showcase him and to sell high on him to help this year's team.  

The timing is right as non-contenders are likely going to want young starting pitching in return for a veteran they are trying to dump.

And Plesac is a 'bonus' prospect, meaning he was not on top prospect lists before the season and his loss would hurt but not impact the depth of our farm system compared to where it was in March.

So are they showcasing Plesac?  I hope to heck not.  Plesac, Civale, McKenzie....these are they guys you hold on to as if you want to trade any or all of Carrasco, Bauer and Kluber this winter or next July, these are exactly the three guys who you would want to plug into those spots in the rotation.

I will say this now and, I am sure, again later.

The Indians should NOT be making any prospect-for-veteran trades until the future production of Ramirez, Bauer, Kluber, Carrasco and Salazar are established and their trade value is higher.

Trading Plesac now would just be one more nail in the coffin of the 10-year future of the Cleveland Indians.

However, I can't see why they would bring him up now except to showcase him for a trade.

I hope I am wrong!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment