Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Time for a frank discussion about our prospects

 In preparation for my opening day top prospect list, I wanted to have a frank discussion about our prospects.  It is also important as, if I suspect, the Indians are about to go for it and trade a bunch of our prospecdts to bring in a seasoned ML outfielder and a bullpen piece.  So, with that in mind, let's start.

1. GABRIEL ARIAS - Arias is an uber prospect in this organization.   He WILL be a major leaguer and a successful one.  The question is, does he fit what this organization needs going forward.  In my opinion he is going to outgrow shortstop and be a 3rd baseman in the future.  He is already, at 22 years old, listed as 6'1", 207 lbs.  He does not steal bases, he does not walk that often and his strikeouts are on the upper end of what you would want for a good fielding shortstop.    I just don't think he is going to project as a high range, slick fielding shortstop going forward.  To me his future position is third base and that is important.  If I told you that it would take a couple of years but Arias, by 2024, would be Jose Ramirez part deux, would you be willing to let Ramirez go and gamble on Arias>?  That is the key, really.  Will Gabvriel Arias be playing WITH Jose Ramirez or INSTEAD of Jose Ramirez?  If it is the former I am all in with finding him the best position (maybe the OF or even 1B?).  If it is the latter then I say use Arias as trade bait as, being a SS, he looks better than  think he will turn out to be.

2. GEORGE VALERA - One of the most interesting things in spring training is playing Valera in centerfield.  If he can make that adjustment his value goes up.  Bujt that is the key.   Why do we want his value to go up?  He clearly is blocked for years n Cleveland by Myles Straw?  I think they are looking at Valera as trade bait that I don't agree with.  Valera should stay and we ride that hoss until he reaches free agency.   But maybe the Indians coaches and anaylitic people see him as not beng that good as a major leaguer.

3.TYLER FREEMAN - Look, despite the shoulder injury, Tyler Freeman is going to be a major leaguer.   He just hits too well.   Given his lack of power, lsck of plate discipline and lack of speed his ability, based on his offense, to play any position but SS in the major leagues, I think he is currently a tweener.   So with Freeman we have a guy who is currently damaged goods who, even if you don't consider that, might be considered an average major leaguer at best who will only be a good to exceptional major leaguer if his offensive projection includes a big bump in power.   Hey, the guy could turn into Craig Biggio, which is my upside projection for him.  However, his trade value right now, given his tangibles, is much less.  So I keep him and start looking at him solely at 2B and CF (or maybe catcher?!?!).

4. DANIEL ESPINO - Right now Espino is hot.   He might never have much more trade value than he does right now.   When he was drafted there were rumblings that his short frame and arm action might make him a better fit as a reliever, especially with that fastball.  Since then I don't see a lot of change in that and I view him with Clase upside.  As a starter I think he gets hit way too much even with his elite FB.  But, nonetheless, I see him as, far and away, the best prospect in this organization in terms of projecdtability as I see him as an elite closer in the future.  So if I can get elite value for him I definitely consider trading him.  Otherwise, I keep him and start developing him as a reliever.

5. NOLAN JONES - Here is our minor league version of Josh Naylor.   He is a guy who has shown only mediocre stats so far with the projection of more but not the reality.   Jones, to me, is close to being a bust but now has his clock extended by his injury.   He has no many warts to his offensive game that I don't see his value as very high.   He would be window dressing on a trade by a team that wants to do a salary dump or is looking to dump a guy who they know they can't sign long-term.

6. BRAYAN ROCCHIO - I love Rocchio's game.  He has projectability and makes the trading of Arias and/or Freeman more palatable.  I see right now that he has more value to Cleveland than he would in a trade so that is normally my measure if I want to use a guy as trade bait or keep him to see if his value increases this year.

7. OTHER PROSPECTS - We have several prospects who could be trade bait: Jose Tena, Angel Martinez, Gavin Williams, Bo Naylor, Logan T. Allen and others who could be thrown into a trade package.  I am all for these guys being used in trades if we think their current value is higher than their projection.  However, I don't want any more Junior Caminero for Tobias Meyers (who was going to be DFA'd) trades.   Prospects are our lifeblood in Cleveland and if you get value for one you trade him.   However, the Meyers trade is, to me, an example of how a team has an excess of prospects and start to lose respect for a guy based on where he is on THEIR list of prospects instead of where his prospect worth actually is.   So, please.  No stupid trades where we give up more than we get back just because we have an excess of prospects.   The art of the trade is an important part of a team like the Guardians and we need to Guardians of our prospect wealth, spending it only when we make sense.

1 comment:

  1. Art here...like you I'm no kid so the references can be a bit towards older players. I see Freeman as a likely comp with Tom Herr.

    I also suspect that Cleveland's internal analysis has Valera with a lot more doubt than some of the national rankings, and I think he may be part of a trade for more current quality outfield talent.

    ReplyDelete