Friday, December 16, 2022

Anyone left we should be interested in?

 So, free agency is sort of winding down.  Let's look at the remaining top free agents and see if there is anyone else we could be interested in.

First things first: We saw what happened when we signed our stopgap catcher.  Although he was not a player who was likely to make the 26 man roster this coming season, the loss of someone like Owen Miller for nothing is still, in my opinion, an unwarranted loss.  

So, with that in mind, I think that there are only 3 players on the current roster who are possibilities to be DFA'd if we sign another free agent.  Let me be clear, however.  Loss of any one of these guys for nothing is not appropriate.  

Will Benson
Bryan Lavastida
Richie Palacios

Again, like Nolan Jones, Carlos Vargas and Owen Miller, none of these three guys are likely to be a significant player for this team in 2023, with all being redundant to the future of this team.  Like I said, however, they still have value as players and they are NOT DFA flotsam and jetsam, although some bloggers may try to tell you they are.

So, now that we see that it would be painful to add anyone to our roster, let's look at who is available from the top 50 tier of free agents (according to MLBTR) and see if anyone makes sense.

5. Dansby Swanson -SS- No way this guy makes sense for us.  We have too many SS in waiting already

23. Nathan Eovaldi RHSP- Given that he would likely slot in at #4 in our rotation and what middle tier free agent pitchers are getting and that we have reinforcements at AAA/AA ready to go, I way no way to him, too.

24. Taylor Rogers RHRP - He would only be of interest to me on a 1-year prove it deal for $5 million.  Aside from that I would pass.  We have bullpen guys are the FO has been very adept at shopping in the bargain basement and coming up with real finds (Enyel De Los Santos, for example)

25. JD Martinez - RH DH - A very intriguing guy but with Bell and Naylor, and the latter not REALLY being a RFer BEFORE his injury, I don't see the fit.  Still, if you want a bat and can get him on a prove it deal of $15 million, I might take a shot and do with Naylor what you can do (RF or 1B but not against most lefties.   Again, I vote no on this one but could easily get behind it if it happens.

33. Jurickson Profar - OF - I just don't see him being an upgrade, especially after watching him with San Diego this year.

37.  Brandon Drury - RH 1B, 2B, #B, LF, RF - The most interesting guy on this list to me but his OB skills are not in the Guardians' wheelhouse.  Still, his power and flexibibility on a 1 year, $10 million deal might be worth a look. It is guys like this that, during a long season with the grind and injuries that invariably happen, would be great to have to just plug and play.

39. Andrew Chafin - LHRP - Don't know why he isn't signed and I don't think he is in our price range but signing him to a 1 year deal is helpful to our pen and only raises the pitchers on our 40-man to 20, which is a number I like to see.  Again, it is about money, if we can get him for 1 year at $7 million I kick the tires.

40. Jean Segura - 2B - No fit with this organization but an intriguing guy

41. Michael Wacha - RHSP - What I said before about Eovaldi

43. Michael Brantley - DH - I love this guy but we have no need for his handedness or skillset at this point in his career.  I will kick myself later but if I had to go for a DH I would go for JD Martinez first.

44. Michael Conforto = OF - I just think the teams trying to grab at straws who lost out on other players will drive his price up too high.

45 - Adam Ottavino - RHRP - Always in the market for these veterans but, again, I think his price will be too high.  1 year at $6 million is all I would go for a guy we night not even need but would be great to have.

47. Justin Turner - INF - See the talent but not the need.  With our infield and outfield, he is only an incremental improvement and, even being a veteran hitter, I just don't see a place for him.  Yet, for the right price, I could be convinced.

48. Corey Kluber - RHSP - He could be an innings eater but we don't need that.

50. Drew Rucinski - RHRP - - Right price?  Probably not.  Need - probably not.  Minor league deal.  Absolutely.

Best of the Rest - 

Gary Sanchez - Backup catcher?  Sure, perfect situation as he can hit and he can catch a little bit.

Will Myers - Like Drury, that extra piece that contenders need and that they buy at the trade deadline.  

Trey Mancini -  Amazing he is still available.  Still, I am not convinced that Oscar Gonzalez is going to be a thing going forward.  I hope that he is as his potential is massive.  But, if he tanks, Valera may not be ready and Brennan may not be the correct handedness for what we need for that position.  Again, Mancini is just a veteran hitter.

Any of the rest of Cueto, Fulmer, Kimbrel, Lugo, Moore might have some use if we know a guy is going to the 60 day DL already.

Well, that's it. We could stand pat or spend more money.  It ain't over until its over and it ain't over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment