Monday, January 9, 2023

Recollections of a lifelong fan

 My first Cleveland baseball recollections were listening to the games on the radio.  My favorite player was Tito Francona and, although I don't really remember his heyday back in 1959 where he hit .361 or even his all-star season, I still liked him.

When he was traded away I remember hiding my transistor radio under my pillow and listening the Harry Carey and Jack Buck broadcasting the Cardinals games on KMOX and hoping that Francona, only a part-time player at that point, would get in the game.

I followed his career as he moved to Oakland and had a 6 hit game, as I remember.  I still have the article from the Plain Dealer somewhere.  

From that point my memories were that of a kid loving his baseball team.  No expectations, no judgement of the front office for their missteps.   Just a kid caring about what went on between the lines and rejoicing at each victory, even if there were always more losses than wins.  

I remember going to old Municipal Stadium which magnified the lack of fans with its cavernous confines.  I specifically remember one game where my brother and I and his friends got there early before the game.  We were out in the upper deck in RF and George Hendrick and Charlie Spikes came to warm up out along the right field line.  When they were done my brother's friend called for Hendrick to throw the ball up to him.  Hendrick obliged and, amazingly threw it right to my brother's friend in the upper deck.   We hung out there and about 15-20 minutes later here comes Hendrick and Spikes to throw a little more.  Realizing they don't have a ball they motion to my brother's friend to throw the ball back down...and he obliges.   After they finish throwing Hendrick motions up to the guy that he is going to throw the ball back to him in, did I mention, the upper deck.  And Hendrick makes another perfect throw to him.  

It is likely that Cleveland lost that game but that memory sticks with me.

Most of the rest of my memories of the Indians/Guardians are from afar.  I would get home to watch them on occasion or catch a game if they were playing close to where I lived.  But, since I haven't lived in Cleveland since 1975, most of my memories come from radio broadcasts and reading about them on the internet. 

Since 1975 I became much more interested in the result.  Still loving the experience and the joy of watching my team, I wanted to get a piece of what fans in other cities were getting...the pride of having a winning team and getting to and maybe winning a WS title.  Startng in the mid-90s I got that and, ever since (thanks in large part to the front office and my favorite player's son) I have what I wanted in the 80s: a winning team with a chance to make it to and maybe win a WS.  Some of my thoughts now are about the minutia that can make or break my team in that effort.

But I constantly am brought back to the joy I get from watching my team play, win or lose.   I love Cleveland's major league team, no matter what they are called because, frankly, they bring me joy.

p.s., It helps to have the Lake County team so close to where I grew up so if I come into town I can catch the stars of the future, too.  And maybe drive down to Akron or Columbus for more baseball..  

Go Guardians!  You were and continue to be a big part of the recreatonal happiness of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Rocky Colavito , every kid in town had to bat like the Rock

    ReplyDelete