Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Thoughts for a Tuesday - Jan 10th style

 Even though I live in a relatively warm climate now, thoughts of spring training still warm my heart.

My thoughts to Liam Hendricks and his family and prayers for a quick, complete and permanent recovery.

Do you think the Guardians are done signing players?   Do you think they are going to make a trade?  I am voting yes to the former but, given the vibes from their previous efforts this off-season, I think they may just choose to hold their prospects until the deadline.  One thing is for sure, however.   They will need to clear some prospects off this roster, consolidating them for a proven major leaguer or trading them for guys who don't have to be rostered this coming off-season.

I know it is a minor point but when I see some of these guys traded after having been DFA'd and the other team getting a minor leaguer back, I can't help but ask myself why we appear to have gotten nothing for Owen Miller.  Now, that might change if Miller makes the Brewers out of spring training but, still.  If AJ Alexy can get a minor leaguer in a DFA trade, why couldn't Miller?

Wow, what a turn to the Carlos Correa saga.  I would have really liked to see him sign a long-term deal with San Fran.   It seemed to me that in the first half of the year he was not going all out.  Now, I don't know if he was hurt then, or if he was just protecting his body for free agency.  But it would have been great to see what 12 years of guaranteed salary would have done for his effort level.   Clearly he turned it on in the second half, maybe after he made the decision that he wanted to opt out if he could build his numbers.   Not saying that he was dogging it but, if he was, I don't know that his new contract with the Twins will be sufficient for him to go all out all the time as it is likely not to be his last contract. 

Guys are still signing for more money than I would pay them to play for the Guardians.  Fortunately it is not the Guardians who are paying them these salaries.  Aside from Gregory Soto, I don't see, in the Guardians' mentality of cheap, controllable talent that anyone but Soto would have been a fit.

More later.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment