Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Let's take a few minutes away from baseball to catch our breath!

So let's talk some football.   Here are my opinions, for what they are worth.

  • I can't believe anyone thinks Ohio State deserved to be in the playoffs.   Just too many close or unconvincing victories against weak opponents and then there is Purdue.  That being said, they keep cranking out NFL players and keep winning.
  • The Browns at 6-7-1 are a pleasant surprise.   Still, I watched all of their game on Saturday, the first time I have seen them in a complete game.   They didn't look very good.   They won, but not in a manner that would convince me that under Mayfield they are on the upswing.  The kinda won ugly.  This is the type of vast improvement that is part mirage and portends a falloff to say 4 wins next year.  They need to find a way to keep this momentum going into the off-season and next year and buck that fall off trend.
  • Let's talk Ohio State football recruiting next.   I think this whole recruiting 'dance' is just comical.  Guys committing two years in advance only to decommit and then commit to someone else, sometimes multiple times before the early signing period.  If you are a hard core, all in OSU football fan this must drive you nuts.   I am only at the periphery of it and I think the whole process is crazy.
  • Speaking of crazy, I just read that Georgia's freshman quarterback is thinking of transferring to OSU!  That brings me to the major point of this post.    OSU, not counting Haskins, has 4 quarterbacks on their depth chart including two, Martell and Baldwin, who are top recruits.   Why on Earth would another quarterback want to come here.   Weird.   Now I can see where maybe you need 12 offensive linemen on scholarship and so a freshman coming in and seeing 10 guys on the depth chart in front of him wouldn't be dismayed.   But a quarterback coming into a program that already has 4 quarterbacks plus Haskins?   That's like having 5 scholarship punters.
  • OK, that's it for now.   Now back to baseball.   Sometime I will have to digress and tell all of you about my connection to professional wrestling!


No comments:

Post a Comment