Monday, December 17, 2018

Minor league infielder Andruw Monasterio, huh!

So the PTBNL in the Yan Gomes trade is Andruw Monasterio!

Underwhelming, to be sure..

Hey, its not like I have anything against Monasterio.   Apparently Washsington thought enough about him to have him on the 40-man roster and if what I read is accurate for the last two years, meaning he only has one option left.  

But, as I said, I don't have anything against the guy.   Of course, I don't have anything against Eric Stamets, Luke Watkamatsu, Dillon Persinger, Jorma Rodriguez, Dorsys Paulino or even higher ranked prospects like Tyler Krieger, Mark Mathias and Ernie Clement.

But that's the point, isn't it.   Utility infielders, even ones on the 40 man roster (like Stamets), are not that valuable.

So, getting Monasterio as the PTBNL in the Yan Gomes salary dump trade makes perfect sense.   It was a salary dump.   Therefore, you wouldn't expect the PTBNL to be worth much.   And he wasn't.

In fact, you COULD make the case that taking Monasterio actually did Washington a favor as it cleared a 40-man roster spot for them without them having to DFA Monasterio or provide us with a younger prospect who had more value and/or didn't have to be rostered yet..

So I have to ask myself: Which team did this PTBNL transaction help more: The Indians or the Nationals?

I would say it was a wash...which means it actually didn't help the Indians now or in the future...much like the whole Gomes trade and, until proven otherwise, every trade the Indians made this off-season.


No comments:

Post a Comment