Friday, November 19, 2021

Instant Analysis of Cleveland's 40-man roster moves

 Top line analysis:  The Indians did what I felt they had to do: put prospects first.  They protected 10 of their own prospects and one they acquired in a trade (Tobias Myers)

That is historic.  I mean, historic, and I commend the Indians for that.  Historic events call for historic actions.

You can nitpick the details (and I will below) but the overall impact is huge and, in my opinion, the absolute right thing to do.  These guys all have traits of future major league starters and potental all-stars.  This was not the typical Rule 5 class who project as low level major leaguers.

One nit I want to pick.  They traded Junior Caminero for Tobias Myers.   In essence, they DFA'd JC Mejia to make room for Myers.   I hate this deal.   Don't understand how Myers could be worth anything when he hasn't ever even played in the majors.   Let's look at whether Johnson, Garza, Mejia, etc. who they DFA'd today, all of whom look better on paper to me than Myers, brings back ANYTHING, let along a non-Rule 5 eligible talent like Caminero.

More later but this is the best result I could have imagined.


1 comment:

  1. what do you make of Cantillo not making it in the 40. Do you see him selected and sticking.

    ReplyDelete