Saturday, April 9, 2022

After the first few days of the season

 Guardians: Didn't improve the offense.  Still not scoring runs.  Maybe we can make a trade for Reynolds but... Still, the pitchng looks pretty good.  Kwan is looking great and it makes you wonder why Zimmer, Mercado, Bradley, Miller, Chang and others can't do the same thing.  I just don't get why our hitters won't just take what the defense gives them like Kwan does.  This just looks like bad coaching to me.   Look, I ahve been a youth coach for more than 30 years and I know that even national level prospects take to training.   Very few of them are stubborn enough or are untrainable enough to limit their progression.   It is normally just bad coaching.   Not throwing anyone under the bus here but these guys should be better...they should be more like Kwan.  

Early in the season Valera, Rocchio and Tena don't look that good.   Tena, especially, looks overmatched at AA.   I don't see their trade value being high enough right now.  Also, they all appear to have significant, loopy uppercuts in their swings that I don't remember seeing last year.  I thought our hitting coaches in the minors were doing better.  Now I am wondering if they are actually hurting these guys.

Espino looked amazing today but he still gave up two HRs and a hard double.  He threw a curveball today that Rodriguez could not handle because it was still breaking so sharply when it got to him.  At this point he has great value but that the uber-value I would like to see if we are going to make a trade.  You put him in the majors with Hedges who can frame and call a good game and Espino has all the tools he needs to pitch in the majors right now.   It would be rough given his penchant of giving up hard contact but he looked good today.  Ditto for Logan T. Allen yesterday.

Williams and Nikhazy look OK, although Williams fastball looks really straight to me.  THe rest of our 2021 draft class is going to take a little while to sort out but no one else looks outstanding in the early going.

I am still wondering what is up with Gabriel Rodriguez and Aaron Braccho.   They didn't start the first game and Martinez did, but hit 9th.   At least they were all at Lake County.  

Of all of our hitting prospects Arias and Noel look the most like I thought they would coming out of the gate.  

Remember, as crowded as our 40-man roster is with prospects, we need most or all of them to excel so they become good trade bait.   Right now, although it is early, I don't see that at all except for a couple of those guys.


1 comment: