Thursday, April 7, 2022

My thoughts going into the season

 1. Having the core of this group together through 2025 would be great and having Ramirez here through 2028 is even better.   That, alone, is cause for much celebration among Cleveland fans.  I wonder how close we actually got to trading Ramirez to the Padres?  Thanks to Dolan for ponying up for this.   I wonder, however, hos this impacts his spending in the future.

2. I look at Steven Kwan and how he takes what the defense gives him and then I look at Bradley, Mercado and Zimmer and I just say to myself "Why?"   Bradley and Zimmer should be doing whatever they can to get hits and that includes slapping the ball the other way to get hits when they are shifted against.  Starting Kwan in the outfield with Rosario and Straw is almost made mandatory by how bad this offense is.   

3. This is a huge year for Gimenez and the Indians.   His hitting philosophy should be more like Kwan than Lindor.

4. I know people will think I am crazy but two of the most important players on this team, in terms of making this lineup productive, will be Yu Change and Owen Miller.  Chang is penciled in at second base and Miller will play first when Bradley sits.   If Bradley remains a pathetic hitter, Miller will get more chances at first base.

5. The key for this team is the bullpen.   It is beyond me how they could let every good reliever be signed and even let the questionable relief veterans go to other teams as minor league free agents.  I mean even Blake Parker just signed with the Cardinals on a minor league deal a few days ago.  I know we have roster problems but we need more bullpen arms.  

6. In all the years I have followed the Indians this is clearly the most difficult team to predict I have ever seen.  Will the starters remain healthy and will the lineup hit?  And, if both those things happen, will the bullpen keep from blowing games before they get to Clase?   I am not going to make a guess at their final record but my hope is that the Guardians get back on the right side of .500 by the end of May and never look back. 

7. I really don't think this is the kind of team that can pick up players early in the season.  I would love to have Reynolds from Pittsburgh or Soto from the Nationals.  We have the prospect capital if we can negotiate a reasonable deal. 

8. If all else fails I hope our mnor league stud list gets bigger and bigger.   Creating good prospects we can play or trade for good value.  I see more potential in our farm system than I ever have.  Look for the Guardians to give Oscar Gonzalez an early chance and look for at least one of our 2021 draftees to make his major league debut this year. 

9. Looking at some of the teams around this league who are likely done before the season starts makes me appreciate Francona more and more.

10. Go Guardians! 

No comments:

Post a Comment