Tuesday, August 23, 2022

A perfect night

 I was at a reception tonight where, among other people, I talked to a guy who was at Len Barker's perfect game.  I told him that it would be great to see another perfect game tonight.

Little did I know that my wish would come true...sort of.

Tonight was about as perfect a game as I have seen.  The Guardians got OK starting pitching from Civale and then followed it up with the smoking hot combo of Sandlin, Karinchak, Stephan and Clase.  That limited the Padres to one run. Cleveland scored just enough of their old teammate, Mike Clevinger, to beat him and added an insurance run off the bullpen to make me not have to faux sweat because, when you are in Southern California, in San Diego, it is cool enough that real sweating is usually avoided, especially at a night game.

Believe it or not this was my first game in person since the pandemic began and it was, for me, perfect.  With aga sometimes comes perspective and even though I wasn't there for Barker's perfecto, tonight was about as close to the nirvana of baseball as it gets, at least during the regular season.  

Gonzalez, Gimenez and Ramirez and those pitchers.   It really made a perfect weather evening baseball perfect.

On top of our game, the Twins and White Sox lost, making the evening even more perfect than perfect, I guess perfect squared, so to speak. 

Wish I could go to the game tomorrow but there are things that won't allow that to happen so I will root the old fashioned way, listening to the audio broadcast as, well, MLB TV doesn't carry Padres games live when you live in the area.

Loved watching the Guardians play.  Loved catching up with like-minded Guardians fans, one of whom was a college graduate, class of 1951.

Great evening and, with the perspective age gives you, one that I know I will cherish for the rest of my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment