Sunday, March 26, 2023

Meibrys Viloria on the 26- and 40-man. Reading between the lines

 OK, so, for right now, Viloria is on the roster.  But the rumblings are that it only stays this way if we don't have another transaction (trade, waiver claim, free agent signing) that could change that.  Taking a deep look at our 26 man roster, here is what I see:

Starting pitcher:   Plesac and Civale are the 'weak' links.  Actually, they are not weak by MLB standards.  Could we be a better team if we traded for a #2 or #3 starter.  Clearly.  But is this an area of need?  No, not in the slightest based on what I have seen and heard about the team this spring.

Bullpen - You can never have enough arms.   Still, the Guardians felt good enough about their position coming into and during spring training that they didn't sign any guys (e.g., Bryan Shaw, Will Smith) who had hung around free agency until ST started.  That shows me they feel good about their bullpen.  I am not so confident as the replacements from down below have thinned out a lot due to injuries.  Could we add here?  Certainly, but I don't see that impacting Viloria.

Infield - The starting spots are set and, as long as Arias is not injured, we are good to go with our spare infielder.  Could we use another grizzled veteran to be our 26th player?  Sure, but I don't see us adding one as we didn't add one on a minor league deal this off-season.  Nor should we, with our MIF depth.

Catcher - We spent money on Zunino.  If he is healthy I don't see us making a move here as we have the backup(s) we need and we have the future in Naylor.

Outfield: We have starters in Kwan, Straw and Gonzalez and our ideal backup in Brennan.  The only weakness there is Gonzalez, as we don't know if last year was a fluke or whether he will turn into the guy that wasn't even considered good enough to be rostered last winter.  I may be myopic here but I do see room to improve based on past conversations.  That conversation revolves around Bryan Reynolds.  Just like the Guardians were last spring with Jose Ramirez, the Pirates are in a similar, but not identical place with Reynolds.  The Pirates are not even close in numbers to compromising on a dollar figure for an extension with Reynolds and they might be where we were last year with Ramirez, ready to trade Reynolds if they can't get an extension hammered out before the season.  I am not a huge Reynolds fan based on my read of his stats but, who knows.

So, outfield is where I think we have the greatest current weakness although I don't necessarily see how adding in the outfield could necessarily cost us Viloria's roster spot as whoever we trade for Reynolds would likely be on the 40-man, clearing some space 

So, I don't know.  There seems to be no logical move that I see, based on need, that would cause Viloria not to be rostered. 


No comments:

Post a Comment