Wednesday, March 29, 2023

The Putting-All-My-Predictions-In-One-Post-Blog-Article

 OK, it's prediction time.   For me, this time of year is kind of like an internet time capsule where I can write things down only to be able to 'open' them after the season so I can laugh at myself.  I have put them all in one spot to make them easier to find at the end of season when my prediction list will probably look a lot like my NCAA men's basketball bracket this year (hopefully in a San Diego State, Florida Atlantic kinda way).  Note that some of these predictions I have already made in posts leading up to the season and I will also recap them, with links include, here.  

So, without further ado, here goes:

W/L Records for 2023:

Cleveland Guardians: 91-71 - If you remember, in November (Cleveland Guardians Perspective: A way too early look at our record next year ) I did a game-by-game analysis of how I thought the Guardians would do with the new, balanced schedule.  This is the number I came up with.   Even though we have injuries and there has been significant player movement among teams since I did this analysis, I stick by it as my projection.

Columbus Clippers: 86-64 - I see us backing up a lot of our top prospects at this level as we wait for roster spots to clear in the fall and sprinkle in some veterans to fill out the roster.  Although this will not be the typical successful AAA team stocked with AAAA players, I see this team excelling this year.

Akron Rubber Ducks: 69-69 - While we will have some of our best pitching prospects here to begin the season, I think the offense is going to be so light that we won't win that many games.

Lake County Captains: 73-59 - I see some overachieving going on at this level and, although Chase DeLauter won't contribute due to his injury, I see us getting a lot of contributions from guys who may end up at this level all year due to logjams above them.  

Lynchburg Hillcats: 66-66 - This is an optimistic projection for this team which always seems to be underage compared to the league average.   Again, just like last year, some interesting prospects and maybe a number of guys breaking out this year (see below) but not enough experience to post a winning record.

Guys Making Their Major League Debuts This Year

Regular Players
Tim Herrin
George Valera
Brayan Rocchio
George Valera
Jhonkensy Noel
Injury callups only during the season
Logan T. Allen
David Fry
Peyton Battenfield
Micah Pries
Kyle Marman

Summary:  Sorry, I don't think you will see Williams or Bibee this year.  Nor will you see any of the middle infielders other than Rocchio.   None of the guys we got in trades (Carver, Boyd, Haffer, Brito) are close enough to the major leagues to be called.  Some of these guys, as the list indicates, will only be called up due to injuries.   As there has been the past two years there will be a big strain on the 40-man roster in the 2023/4 offseason so we will likely only add guys who we are not afraid to lose to being DFA'd.   Noel will probably have a Bo Naylor-like callup in September just to get his 'firsts' out of the way approaching 2024.  If we are out of the race around the trading deadline it is possible that we may trade Rosario and Bell, opening up roster space for Noel, Pries and Fry.

Breakout Prospects for 2023

I posted earlier this year (Cleveland Guardians Perspective: Way Too Early Look At 2023 Breakout Prospects) about 10 prospects who I think are ready to break  out this year.  Here is that list plus one guy I added since I was at spring training this year:

1. Ryan Webb
2. Doug Nikhazy
3. Jose Cedeno
4. Jonathon Rodriguez
5.Dayan Frias
6. Juan Brito
7. Ethan Hankins
8. Justin Boyd
9. Gabriel Rodriguez 
10. Mason Hickman
11. (new addition to this list) Aaron Davenport

Ten Prospects To Watch Very Closely This Season

I recently posted (Cleveland Guardians Perspective: Ten Prospects To Watch Very Closely This Year) on 10 prospects who I think are at a critical time in their careers.  A good season this season could vault them up the prospect rankings.  A bad season could drop them into the suspect/organizational player category. 

10. Gabriel Rodriguez
9. Alexfri Planez
8. Jonathon Rodriguez
7. Micah Pries
6. Isaiah Greene
5. Tanner Burns
4. Jake Fox
3. Juan Brito
2. Ethan Hankins
1. Logan T. Allen

Ten Very Interesting Recent International Signees To Watch This Year


1. Jaison Churio OF
2. Angel Genao SS
3. Jose Cedeno C
4. Austin Aldeano RHP
5.Juan Benjamin 2B
6. Wuilfredo Antunez OF
7. Maick Collado 1B/3B
8. Nelson Aranguen C/1B
9. Rafael Ramirez, Jr.  SS
10. Manuel Mejias C
 
Plus, two guys who signed in January who you would think should be in the DSL this year but, if their ability matches their hype, might sneak into the ACL this summer:

1. Welbyn Francisca 2B
2. Yerlin Luis OF

No comments:

Post a Comment