Monday, October 23, 2017

Our Free Agents - What do we do

OK, the World Series starts tomorrow which means I go into high gear to start thinking about the 2018 Indians.  So let's first talk about our free agents and which ones we want to bring back.

Obviously, we want to bring back all of them.  But that is highly unlikely.   So let's prioritize.

Josh Tomlin - We pick up his $3 million option.  No questions.

Carlos Santana - He is single player I target out of our free agent class.   If we can sign him I think it makes this team immensely better.  Most of my off-season resources go into signing him.   I don't know why I like him this much but I think that year 2 with him and Encarnacion could be magical and year 3 could be almost as good.  

Joe Smith - I would like to re-sign him by giving him years instead of a single big payday.  I would go for a 3-year deal for him but not for his one year market value per year.  

Bryan Shaw - I think we can and should re-sign him.   However, he has a lot of miles on him so I would overpay him for a 1-year deal to reward him for his contributions so far.   I would not go beyond one year, however. 

Jay Bruce - In an unpopular move, I am sure, I don't bring him back.  He is too expensive.  I don't believe he actually adds to the clubhouse that much and I think his production on the field may be declining.   Just my opinion but I don't think he is worth the money he will receive.  I might offer him the qualifying offer rate for one year not to get the draft pick, because we can't.   Just to show him we want him to stay.   Beyond that, I let him walk. 

Austin Jackson - I would bring him back at the same rate of pay he had this year plus a 30% raise.  Anything more than that will be overpaying for a piece to the puzzle that probably can be easily replaced in free agency.   I don't see him as an impact player in the post-season so I wouldn't overpay him.

Craig Breslow - I work to re-sign him to a minimum deal.  He is good insurance for us in case Miller or Olson goes down.

Boone Logan - I pick up his option.   I know that sounds stupid but he is a viable commodity.  I doubt we find anything better in free agency at the price of his option minus the buyout.



No comments:

Post a Comment