Sunday, May 30, 2021

I have found the secret!

 I was so mad I turned off the TV after the top of the 3rd.  It doesn't matter what game it was (it was actually the second game of the doubleheader today).  Same old B.S.  Our young starting pitcher implodes because he can't throw strikes and when he throws strikes they are meatballs.  I finished my lunch (I am 3 hours earlier than y'all) and went outside to cut down a small, dead tree and pull out the stump.   Well, about 3 hours later, I came back in and saw the score.   I wound up MLBTV and watched, in glory, the last two innings.   Four walks in a row (all I could think of was my go-to gif from Chicken Little saying "don't swing" that I pull up every time Austin Hedges comes up and a sacrifice fly from Ramirez who, this time, they couldn't pitch around.  

 A managerial error, huge error, of not warming up a relief pitcher when his relief pitcher with a history of wildness started to crack.   A gift from Toronto's manager to us.   And we did it with our usual bad offense.  

Trying to figure out how all this could happen when I was outside cutting out dead wood (hear that Jake Bauers?) it came to me.

Cut down a dead tree and the Indians will magically start to win.  Problem is, there aren't any other dead trees on my property.   So now my live trees and large succulents were starting to get nervous.   A quick count shows that I have about 6, 10 counting the front yard, things that are or could pass for trees.  Nowhere near the 100+ I need to finish the regular season.   So I envisioned my whole neigborhood.   In the 100 some homes and common ground could I find enough dead wood to take us to the AL Central championship?  Not likely, as my neighbors keep up their properties.   Plus I don't think my back would make it through the whole season even if I did find that level future firewood.  

But, it's good to dream.   Maybe if 1-2 diehard Indians fans cut down a dead tree before every game...sort of a dead tree offering to the baseball gods, maybe the Indians could have a magical rest of the season where everything fell their way, no pun intended.  

Hmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment