Sunday, May 9, 2021

Thoughts for a soggy Sunday

Happy Mother's Day to all those mothers out there.

1.  Good win yesterday by the Indians.   Civale pitches and the team hits.  Bauers, Gimenez and even Hedges contributing.  We don't need these guys to be great hitters.   Just .240.  

2. I know this is just the minors but, man, 17-3 for the Indians' affiliates this year?  It is hard to imagine a better start than that.  Haven't had much of a chance to watch complete games yet but from what I have seen we are hitting and pitching.

3. As I type this I am watching Lake County play.   Mason Hickman has a devastating curve ball but his fastball is between 86 and 89 MPH.  I don't care how good your curveball is, I don't care how good your curveball is, you have to have more fastball than that, I think, to be a quality major league pitcher.  He has given up some hard contact.   It is surprising to me that, with this stuff, he was a 5th round pick as there doesn't seem to be much there to dream on.  Compare that to James Karinchak when he was drafted.  Looking at the Lansing pitcher, Emmanuels, makes me think he was a more projectable draft pick.

4. It is interesting that Hentges will start on Tuesday now.  The old axiom that starting pitchers need to stay on a 5-day routine in order to stay sharp seems to be disproven with Francona as a manager.  Getting these guys extra rest and shaving 1-2 for more starts from them during the season is good for them both this year and in future years.

I may update this later after the Lynchburg game.

No comments:

Post a Comment