Saturday, October 1, 2022

Bryan Shaw - I just don't get it

 First, Bryan, thanks for all of your efforts over the years.   Some fans didn't appreciate you but you gave lots of great moments to the fans of Cleveland's baseball team.   Thank you again.

Now, to today.  I don't know what others are saying but I don't get this.  There was no way that Shaw was going to be on the Guardians next year except for some catastrophic injury to one of their relief pitchers.  I get that.  Still, I can't imagine why we would get DFA him right now.

Bo Naylor can't play in the post-season unless Will Brennan does not.  Naylor brings nothing to the table that Brennan doesn't, if I can use a double negative.  Both hit left-handed.  Naylor doesn't really know this pitching staff.  

I just don't get it.  What the Guardians did has a chance to disrupt the clubhouse at a critical time.  Keeping him for 5 more days and then just not rostering him for the post-season and keeping him around for moral support would have likely worked.  

So, once again, I don't get it.  

I love that the Guardians are looking internally for any edge they can get in the playoffs but Naylor is not that edge.  Brennan is a better fit both in terms of need and in terms of fit.  

If the Guardians think that Naylor can help them in the post-season I think they are mistaken.

And losing Bryan Shaw at this time has a chance to hurt the Guardians psyche.

No positives for the post-season and potential negatives.   The very definition of a nonsensical move.

I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment