Sunday, October 16, 2022

167-0 and 3 in 5

 OK, so I am not a twitter aficionado, hardly ever posting on that medium. But I was taken aback when I saw a couple of Twitter posts last night.

167-0  

When I saw the ESPN Stat group's twitter post last night posted on Cleveland Guardians Prospective, I was amazed how the comments, retweets and likes kept going up like when I am watching the screen when I am filling up my car at the gas pump.  I mean, jumping by the tens and hundreds in a matter of minutes, real time, was amazing to watch.

This number, if you have been following along today, was the Yankees post-season record in all the playoff games they had played in history when they led by 2 or more runs going into the 9th inning...before last night.  That history, I assume, extends for over 100 years, which is another way of saying that what happened last night falls into the category of uber-historical, if such a category exists.  

You can probably go to any senior's center in the Cleveland area and ask and at least one person will say they were at Len Barker's perfect game.  The joke is that the attendance at that game was 100,000 if you believe all the people who said they were there.  

Well, there have been 23 perfect games in baseball history, one in the playoffs.  That is how historical last night was.  If you allow me a little latitude it was just as historic as Don Larson's perfecto! 

That's the kind of history people in Cleveland should be talking about for the next 100 years, I would think....and in 50 years those of us still alive should be able to poll senior center attendees and get about 100,000 of them to say they were at last night's game.

3 in 5

Another stat that came out of last night's game is that Oscar Gonzalez has tied the major league record for most game-winning RBIs  by a player in the first 5 playoff games in a post-season and, by definition, in the first 5 playoff games of his career.  

Again, this is the stuff of which legends are made, the same thing I said after his walk-off vs Tampa last Saturday.

To repeat the same walk-off feat in the same dramatic fashion exactly one week after his first such feat is just amazing.  Let's hope we can see it again this coming Saturday against Houston, which, if you like the symmetry of the thing, would be the first home game in the ALCS, should the Guardians qualify today or tomorrow.

OK, that's it for now.   Time to go get mentally prepared for today's game.  I hope it is a great one, a Guardian's victory and that tomorrow we can all celebrate, at some point, us qualifying for the ALCS this year.

Go Guardians!

No comments:

Post a Comment