Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Entertainment - I try to always come back to that

 I think you know where I am going with this.  

It could be considered the refrain of a loser, someone who has accepted that his condition is as a lifelong fan of an afterthought in professional sports, the Cleveland Guardians.

Yeah, you could think that, I guess.

But my reality is that the Guardians are my entertainment.  Some people like to go to movies, some people like to binge watch TV shows., some people like to watch sports, some people like to surf the net for whatever they are looking for. 

Whatever your particular armchair activity is, it is likely a form of entertainment and even escape from your day-to-day.

For me, it was, is and will be the Cleveland Guardians of the present and the future.

That is why I want to thank the players, the coaching and support staff and the front office for giving us this team and allowing them to be entertainment, and very good entertainment this year.

Interestingly, not once during the season did I say "Man, maybe this is the year we rid ourselves of the curse of Rocky Colavito".  And even in the most recent series I never said to myself or others "If we only spent more money maybe we could have won the whole thing."

I was simply entertained and, often, amazed by this team.  

Yes, it was frustrating at times and exasperating at times when we couldn't mash our richer opponents.  But, in the end, it was entertainment.

So, no, this is not life or death.  I do not have to see a Cleveland WS champion before I die to avoid having a hole in my existence.  I will leave the feeling that, 'yes, we can finally shed that afterthought status' to those who come after me as lifelong fans when they see that dream fulfilled if it doesn't happen in my lifetime.

For me, this is simply the joy of watching my team play and have success.  I love the Cleveland baseball team, whether you call it the Indians or the Guardians. They always provide me entertainment and that, to me, is what watching professional baseball is about.

In the posts that come after this I will talk about what lies ahead and what we should do going forward to make this good team into a great team...and what desperation moves we should avoid making as we are chasing that first WS championship since 1948.  

But, for this one moment, I want to say thank you Guardians.  You were a joy and treasure to watch and, for young fans, you gave them memories they can tell their kids and grandkids about.  Now THAT'S entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment