Sunday, October 9, 2022

Onward to NY. What our roster should look like.

 OK, through to the next round.  

Let's look at who the Guardians might roster for this round.  

First, let's look at the Yankees pitching.  It appears they have 1 starter and 2 relievers who are left-handed.  Most of the rest of the roster is likely to be right-handed now that Britton is out and Chapman is not likely to be rostered.  

Plus, in this round, given our experience in extra innings in the wildcard round, I think we have to go with at least 13 pitchers, although, if it is legal, 14 is not out of the question. 

So, looking at our roster, here is who I think we should go with:

HITTERS

C - Hedges
1B - Naylor
2B - Gimenez
SS - Rosario
3B - Ramirez
LF - Kwan
CF - Straw
RF - Gonzalez
DH - Brennan

Utility: Arias (1B/2B/SS/3B, OF), Palacios (LF), Maile (C), Frean (INF)

NOTE: With 13 pitchers I don't think we can carry 3 catchers.  The only way we could do that is if our extra catcher could DH and so pop in to catch from his DH role in an emergency situation.  Naylor is 0-8 with 5 Ks. I don't think he is an option.  As far as Benson, looking how he has been used and his production there is not reason he is on the playoff roster.   I will post later today about some small mistakes the Guardians have made in the preparation of their minor leaguers for the post-season but, for right now, I think Palacios is a better choice for this roster than Benson who is not effective at the plate right now. and, with Brdennan, is not needed as an extra outfielder   I also think that we gamble that Arias can play 1B in an emergency.  I think Miller has proven unreliable and so we don't carry him because I think Freeman would add more value.   I think we go with an iron 9 as I like Naylor's chances to play every game at 1B and his chances against a lefty like Cortes more than I like Miller's chances against anyone at this point.  Maybe we even gamble that Arias could come in and get a hit or two against Cortes as other teams might not have a book on him yet.

PITCHERS

SP - Quantrill, Bieber, McKenzie, Civale (if needed for game 5)

NOTE: Given the schedule, Quantrill would start on 7 days rest on Tuesday,  Bieber would on 6 days rest on Thursday, McKenzie on 7 days rest on Saturday and Quantrill would come back on 5 days rest on Sunday.  The issue is Monday.  None of our starters would be able to come back on Monday on normal rest meaning we would have to do a bullpen game with maybe some mixture of Civale, Plesac and McCarty. I see some reason to start Civale on Tuesday but I think the way it makes the dominos fall in the rest of the series AND leading into the next series is not optimal. The thing is, you try to play to end it in 4 and if it comes to game 5 you roll with it.  

Closer - Clase

Bullpen - Stephan, Karinchak, Hentges, De Los Santos, Morgan, Morris, Plesac, McCarty

NOTE: I think it makes sense to sit Sandlin this coming series.  If you do that he can play in the next series.  I think if you put him on the roster for this series you can only remove him due to injury and he wouldn't be able to play in the next series.  For me this gives us two lefties in the bullpen and I could see us using McCarty in a long extra inning game or even against some left bats starting in bases empty situations.  I like Morris here because I think his future is in the bullpen in the short term, he has shown he can work in the short tints multiple times in his career and not many teams have a book on him yet.  

So, there are my thoughts.  More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment