Monday, June 17, 2019

Bonus Update

Apparently Will Bartlett has signed for $275,000, over slot by about $123,000.  Not surprising as he is an IMG guy and my guess is getting Boras-like advice.

Plus, remember that $123,000 comes with a tax which may actually make the cost to the Indians $400,000 to sign this guy for this bonus.   I don't think he is worth nearly that level of bonus but what do I know.

So, currently, if my calculations are correct (note that MLB has the Indians' bonus pool at $6,150,500 whereas the number I have seen floating around the web is 6,148,100) the Indians have somewhere between $16,500 and $23,500 left to spend ABOVE slot for the rest of their picks.

Given that Allan Hernandez got a 'slightly overslot' bonus, probably all the rest of that bonus pool excess was chewed up with him.

So my prediction is that the Indians are done signing players.   They only have 8 left to sign with 6 of those being HS players who won't sign for $125,000 or they would have been drafted higher.   This also means that it is unlikely the Indians will sign Ike Freeman and very, very unlikely they will sign Jake Eissler.  

In terms of numbers of players, a great draft for the Indians.

In terms of talent of those players, I think the Indians did a good job, once again, in bringing in college arms who have a chance to be good pro relievers.   I am not so on board with the HS guys they drafted as you can probably tell from my previous comments.   I also don't like the Brennan pick or what they paid for some of these HS guys.  Except for Espino, they just don't seem like they profile to be star or even solid starter major leaguers and even Espino could profile better as a closer than as a starter.   Still very valuable, especially drafting as low as the Indians did, but not as valuable as a solid position player or solid starting pitcher would be at that draft slot, in my opinion.  

But, with us likely being done signing draft picks, it's time to put all that behind us and get to developing what we got this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment