Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Annual Post-Draft Mock Draft - Who We Could Have Had If Our Drafting Group Wasn't Run by Idiots

Every year I put together a mock draft based on who I thought we should have drafted.  If actually changes nothing as who we drafted is who we have.  But this mock draft is cathartic for me as I dream of an alternate universe where morons were not running the Guardians' draft room.

This year, more than any year I remember, the draft strategy and its execution, was beyond terrible.  I mean, if the 2022 draft, where they drafted a bunch of contact over power guys had worked it would be more believable.  However, since every single one of those types from 2022 has fallen flat on their face ALREADY, it makes it harder to believe that the strategy, taken to the next level in 2023, will be successful.

As I have said previously, the worst part of this is that we are stuck with these draft picks and the hope against hope that everyone else in the baseball industry was wrong and that our approach, which failed last year, will work this year with worse players.

So, for my mental health alone, here is my mock draft of what I think the Guardians should have done.  G

23. Hurston Waldrep - Look, after Emerson I knew that the rest of the guys would have warts or cost way over slot.  So, as I said before the draft, Waldrep was my backup.  He has a killer slider and all he needed was fastball command. I expected that the Cleveland Guardians Finishing School For College Pitchers or CGFSFCP, should have a real chance to refine Waldrep.  It must have been a popular thought as Waldrep went to Atlanta on the very next pick.

58. Jack Gelof - I actually love, in theory, the Alex Clemmey pick except for one thing: the Guardians can't develop HS pitchers.  So I have to default to the best college bat available and that belongs to Gelof.  This was a tough call as Clemmey actually, in my opinion, has a higher ceiling.  This may come back to bite me in the future but I went with Gelof.

62. Joe Whitman - OK, this worked out for me as Whitman is still on the board and I now pick him and don't feel so bad about losing Clemmey.  Whitman is a big value pick here and we would have been happy for years with this pick.

93. Levi Wells - Now I am starting to get 2021 vibes.  I picked Wells as my 3rd round pick in my pre-draft analysis and I stand by it although Hunter Owen was also in play for me here.

126 - Michael Carico - OK, if you want a a lefty hitting college catcher at this point Carico is about 120 places higher than Ingle so let's go with him here.

161. Jace Bohrofen - Now panic has set in.  I need more power hitting college outfielders and Bohrofen fits that bill.  

188. Alex Mooney - OK, so I go with one Guardians pick as I think it was a good value here.   It helps that he hits right handed, too.

228. Ross Dunn - Another colleg pitcher but one that appears to be an extreme value here.

258. Cameron Flukey - OK, following the script from last year, I am picking a HS pitcher who slid.  Don't know if this the CORRECT HS pitcher at this point but we should be getting someone like we got in Humphries last year and Flukey seems to fit that profile...if we know he will sign.

288. Matt Etzel - Etzel has been on my radar for this draft period and getting him as a solid, signable 9th round pick is good here.

318. Tanner Witt - My second flyer, it is amazing to me that Witt has lasted this long as a legacy and a college pitcher but I am going for it here.  My guess is if I could scrape together $1 million to sign Zibin last year I can probably find the same amount for Witt this year.

In rounds 11-20 I pick college pitchers who have one pitch that I think I can turn into quality relievers and maybe a HS flyer or two if I can't sign Flukey and I have money left over

FINAL WORDS

As I figured, this does nothing to make me feel better about the disaster that the Guardians draft team propagated on us.  But what do they care? By the time we figure out in 3-4 years they will be off to their next job.

Nevertheless, in my alternate universe, at least I have given my fellow alternate universe Guardians fans (btw, we are still known as the Indians in that universe) some hope for the future unlike the draft-knowledgable fans in the universe in which I am posting this.

4 comments:

  1. While I think you, as usual, are bent on hyperbole and overreaction, I was spitting nails at their 2nd day picks, maybe even more than you on a handful of them. 5'6" players?? REALLY?? But I liked a lot of day 1 and day 3 picks in terms of talent and potential. Some good arms especially. Not much offensive potential in this draft after our 1st pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed that I have strong reactions. But the draft is soon important for us, Uber important for us that they can't screw even one draft up and, at this point, except for MAYBE 2 picks total, they have screwed up 2 drafts in a row. I love my team and want it to stay competitive. This is the opposite of the way to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They need to take a chance...roll the dice...spend and draft a few power hitting corner infielders and outfielders. Contact hitters are great....to a point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we will be disappointed as I think Clemmey's bonus will be $2+ million, meaning that we likely paid too much for the talent he brings. The obvious answer from fans is 'what can you do, that's what it cost to sign him.'. My response would be, draft someone else whose bonus was appropriate for their talent.

    ReplyDelete